Not to be a downer, but as we all know, there are only a few precious months left before Chicago is coated in a thick, white, blanket of snow again. With that in mind today, I was browsing through area museum web pages in search of fun, outdoor, end-of-the-summer activities to blog about. Lucky for you I found one that mingles art with food – local food! So let’s get up, get out, and soak up the last sunrays while we can!
At the Museum of Contemporary Art downtown, from 7am-3pm every Tuesday through October 25, the City of Chicago’s Farmers Market takes place on the museum’s plaza, offering a freshly stocked lineup of local vendors. Regular participants include Breadman Baking Co., Lehman’s Orchard, Snookelfritz Ice Cream Artistry, Lane’s End Farm, and many others.
What better reason to visit the MCA and then go shopping? It’s also a great time-out on your lunch break. I cant’ think of a better way to get your fruits and vegetables, especially coming straight from the source. Sun kissed tomatoes, crisp greens, juicy and fragrant fruits. Mmmm, I’m already imagining Tuesday.
In addition to all this, admission to the farmers market is absolutely free, but do bring some spare cash! The next date will fall on August 9.
A list of Vendors includes:
· Breadman Baking Co., Deerfield, IL
· Ellis Family Farms, Benton Harbor, MI
· Golden Rise Bakery, Chicago, IL
· La Provence Inc., Chicago, IL
· Lane's End Farm, Lowell, IN
· Lehman's Orchard LLC, Niles, MI
· MJM Provo's Bakery, Addison, IL
· Nichols Farm and Orchard Inc., Marengo, IL
· Noffke Family Farms, Coloma, MI
· North Wichert Gardens, St. Anne, IL
· River Valley Ranch, Burlington, WI
· Saigon Sisters LLC, Chicago, IL
· Scheeringa Farms and Produce, Highland, IN
· Smits Farms, Chicago Heights, IL
· Snookelfritz Ice Cream Artistry, Chicago, IL
· Stamper Cheese Co., Chicago, IL
(On the Plaza)
220 East Chicago Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60611
T 312.280.2660 (main)